Green’Un retro: 5 years ago

Billy Sharp
Billy Sharp
Have your say

Current man in the news Billy Sharp was at the forefront five years ago.

On Saturday, August 16, 2008 he was on the front page of the Green’Un as Sheffield United defeated QPR 3-0.

Sharp hat-trick as Blades party, ran the headline.

Billy netted his goals against Iain Dowie’s side as United posted a second successive home victory.

United captain Chris Morgan was forced off before the end after receiving a blow to the head.

That was in the Championship, the same division as Wednesday, but the Owls suffered a 4-1 reverse at Wolves.

Etienne Esajas scored early on but msised the second half and Wolves completed a fightback that featured goals from Chris Iwelumo 2, Sylvan Ebanks-Blake penalty and sub David Edwards.

United and Wednesday both had three points from their opening two games.

Doncaster Rovers were on four points in the Championship after a late goal from Ross McCormack denied them a second successive win. Rovers had gone ahead with a fine strike from Lewis Guy.

Barnsley lost 2-1 at home to Coventry to leave them pointless after two games.Brian Howard had pulled the Reds back to 1-1. Barnsley striker Iain Hume was sent off for two bookable offences.

Spireites in League Two turned in a woeful display at home to Bury. They lost 3-1 with Alan Knill’s side returning home with victory after central defenders Futcher and Sodje had put them two up. Lloyd Kerry was on target for Spireites.

Rotherham United won 3-1 at Morecambe after Mark Lynch had two superb strikes from outside the area to help the Millers to a second successive league win.

Ryan Taylor followed up Lynch’s efforts. That win took the Millers to -11 points in League Two. Chesterfield were on three points from their opening two games.

Away from football, a familiar face hogged the spotlight. The Fastest Man On Earth, the headline said, as Usain Bolt took gold in the 100 metres at the Beijing Olympics in q world record time of 9.69 seconds.

Bolt produced a blistering finish to leave his rivals trailing and lower his own world record mark by three-hundreths of a second.

Richard Thompson of Trinidad cliamed the silver medal and American Walter Dix took the bronze.

In the swimming pool Michael Phelps admitted he thought he had blown the chance of making history after he won his seventh gold of the Games in a dramatic finish that was clouded in controversy.

The American swim king survived a protest from Serbia’s Milorad Cavic who finished in second place, just one hundreth of a second behind, the tightest winning margin in the sport.

There were suggestions there might have been an error in the timing system but the written and verbal protest was dismissed after video was scrutinised.

Double gold medallist Rebecca Adlington was in dreamland after racing to her second success at the Water Cube.

The 19-year-old from Mansfield added the 800m freestyle to the 400m free she won earlier in the week to make her the most successful female British swimmer, and in doing so smashed the world record.

She said: “I absolutely can’t believe that has happened.”

Bradley Wiggins successfully defended his Olympic title in the individual pursuit to secure the first of what he hopes will be three gold medals.