The Red Lion dates from at least 1787 and was a posting house and excise office.
The Doncaster Gazette of May 1 1969 adds further details to the inn’s early history: “The Red Lion was built in Finkle Street in the early 18th century. It was then the best-appointed and most popular building in the centre of the town.
“The church wardens and overseers of the poor realised its attraction and convenient situation and in 1723 began to use it for their vestry meetings... The Long Room along the frontage of the inn became their home – in 1817 they resolved to buy it... The transaction was not finally made until 1819... and Darleys were paid £300.
“For a time all went well. The County Court Judge began to use the Long Room when he visited Thorne on his circuit. The magistrates began to hold their court there.”
During the late 18th century and early 19th century the Red Lion licence was held by the Bestow family.
Throughout the 19th century the Red Lion was the venue for auctions, society meetings and inquests.
From 1842 to 1895 the licence was held by the Maskill family.
The owners included William Darley Ltd and the premises closed in 1966.
During February 1911 one of many changes in rural Warmsworth occurred with the closing of the old village inn and the opening of a new one.
The new establishment was described as an attractive building of red brick, the upper storeys overlaid with stucco. Local builder and ex-Councillor Wortley, was responsible for erecting the building costing £3,000 at the junction of four roads to Edlington, Conisbrough, Sprotbrough and Doncaster.
The house was named The Cecil and Battie Wrightson Arms (taking the two surnames of landowner Lady Isabella Battie-Wrightson nee Cecil), contrasting with the modest title of The Barrel which the old inn had traded under.
The new pub opened on Monday February 13 1911 and George Guest was the genial host and tenant.
The old pub – The Barrel Inn – was a two-storey terrace of rooms, one room wide after rebuildings and additions.
At one time it was a well-known roadside hoste but since the road was diverted, it became an out-of-the-way and secluded pub.
The Barrel was for many years occupied by the Guests, and for a similar number of years was closed on Sundays.
The Cecil & Battie Wrightson Arms was sold by R. C. Battie-Wrightson to John Smith’s Brewery for £13,100 in 1931.
The name was simplified to the Cecil Hotel in 1959 and the premises were demolished for road widening during the 1960s and a new pub built on a site set back from the road.
Fire severely damaged the bar of the hotel in October 1969.
The Cecil reopened after a major revamp in 2000 but closed as a pub eight years later.
A REFERENCE from August 1813 relates to the premises as Horseshoe.
This name appears to continue until 1833 and the first reference to Plough is from 1838.
The premises (Horseshoe and Plough) were occupied by the Trout family for much of the 19th century.
On August 31 1860 the Plough was on a magistrates’ black list but William Trout had the licence renewed.
In a superintendent’s report to the Licensing Magistrates in August 1901 it was stated the Plough was one of the worst inns in the area.
Rebuilding was completed in 1904.
Inquests and auctions were once held on the premises.
Fire severely damaged the Plough on November 10 1974. Both bars were gutted, and a number of prized decorations, including old horse brasses and Leger mementoes were lost. Fortunately, no-one was hurt.
Only months earlier, the Plough had been refurbished. Amongst the past owners were Jane Trout and Whitworth.
William Moxon is noted as a plumber in the 1841, 1851 and 1861 Barnburgh census returns. In Kelly’s West Riding Directory of 1861, however, he is mentioned as a plumber and also a beerhouse keeper.
In the 1871 census return he is recorded as occupying the Plumber’s Arms and being a plumber and glazier. It is therefore likely that the Plumber’s Arms was established by Moxon.
The earliest located reference to the Plumber’s Arms itself is 1856 when Moxon was fined for keeping the house open after 10pm.
During 1869 the Plumber’s Arms was granted a full licence but as a consequence the nearby New Inn was closed.
Inquests, suppers and meetings were amongst the activities once held on the premises.
Moxon ran the inn until his death in 1875, when it was continued by his widow for a further eight years.
During the following years the licence was held for long periods by several families: the Clark family from 1883 to 1894; the Kent family from 1894 to 1924.
The premises closed around 1930 and past owners included Andrew Montagu.
n If any readers have any pictures of old Doncaster pubs please phone me on 07709 844109.