The White Hart, on Top Road, Barnby Dun, stretches back to at least 1805. Inquests, auctions, suppers and annual dinners have all found a convivial host at the pub.
Plans were approved in 1913 for the premises to be rebuilt. The Doncaster Chronicle of August 8, 1913, said: “Mr W Baddiley asked for sanction to alter the White Hart Hotel, Barnby Dun.
“The plans were before the Bench some time ago, but had not been approved by the Doncaster RDC, who wanted the premises set further back.
“Mr Baddiley said they had agreed to set them back 18 feet instead of nine feet, which was asked for by the Doncaster Rural authorities. The plans were approved.”
The work to rebuild the White Hart was completed in 1914; the premises were also altered in 1984.
Former owners have included Nicholson Bros, Ltd; Whitworth, Son & Nephew. The Lee family held the licence for 31 years between 1877-1908.
The Don Chron of August 26, 1948 noted the death of Walter Abraham a ‘former licensee and champion hurdler’.
As a beer house, The Druids on High Sreet, Bentley, dates back to at least 1841 and applications for a full licence were made as early as 1852, not being achieved until February 1949.
Interestingly, the Society of Druids held an anniversary meeting in the house in 1843 and a year later it was the turn of the Independent Order of Druids to hold an anniversary meeting on the premises.
The Druids was rebuilt in 1906 and a billiard licence was granted the following year.
Among the owners were the Brook Hill Brewery Co Ltd and Whitworth, son & Nephew.
During its long life The Druids has been host to a number of shows, clubs and societies including the Bentley Cycling Club, an apple show for the best three apples, a heavy potato competition won by Mr Ryder and a Ladies Spray Show in aid of soldier’s tobacco fund.
For at least thirty years in the 19th century The Druids’ licence was held by the Dodgson family
The Moon Inn, on High Street (junction of high street/Skellow Road from 1925), Carcroft, has also been known as The Sun, Half Moon and Full Moon and dates back to at least 1837.
Property auctions, dinners and inquests were once held on the premises. The Boothroyd family held the licence for at least 23 years during the 19th century.
At the adjourned Brewster Sessions held at the Doncaster West Riding Court on March 3, 1923, J.A. Baddiley appeared for Mr Samuel Buxton.
This was in support of an application for the removal of the Moon Inn, Carcroft, to the junction of Skellow Road and High Street.
He said at the last meeting the magistrates remarked upon the unsuitability of the building. The existing site was not suitable for rebuilding, but another site, within 100 yards, had been obtained.
It was at a triangular corner, which would make it convenient for police supervision, and as it was more centrally situated it would better serve the needs of the neighbourhood.
The Bench granted the application and approved the plans of the new building drawn by John Smith’s architect, B Wilson.
The Hill Top Hotel, on Sheffield Road, Conisbrough replaced the Hill Top Inn – which was f on the opposite side of the road, and adjoined the Hill Top Brewery. The Conisbrough Court Rolls record that the original inn and brewery were built around 1825 and run by former Wadworth resident Charles Thompson.
He died in 1827 and a year later his widow married Francis Ogley, who continued to run the inn and the brewery business.
A decision to transfer the licence to new premises seems to have been taken for several reasons: the inn was not in a prominent enough position and Francis Ogley jnr decided to convert the inn to a private dwelling.
A notice in the DNL Gaz. of July 9, 1858 appealed for tenders for the construction of a new hotel. WM Blackmoor of Rotherham was the architect. Former owners included Hartley’s and the Hull Brewery Co.
The Reresby Arms on Doncaster Road, Denaby, can be traced to 1877 but it may stretch back to an earlier date when it was called the Fullerton Arms.
In fact the Mexborough & Swinton Times of September 21, 1877 noted the inn as the Fullerton Arms.
On September 21, 1878 the same newspaper carried the startling headline: ‘Disgraceful public house row at [the Reresby Arms] Denaby: alleged cannibalism by miner.’
A number of inquests were held there including Deputy Nelmes, who was the first fatality at Cadeby colliery in March 1893.
The Reresby provided a meeting place for a number of groups including the Denaby Cricket Club and a billiard room was erected in 1896.
Over the years many violent incidents were reported in the press about the house but during the well-documented ‘Bag Muck’ mining dispute of 1902 the Reresby Arms landlord was noted as distributing flour and yeast.