This week’s look back at old Sheffield hospitals focuses on one that looked after children and another that cared for patients with infectious diseases.
King Edward VII Hospital on Rivelin Valley Road was built as a memorial to the king when he died in 1910.
A memorial fund established for a specialist school and medical facilities for what were then known as the crippled children of Sheffield raised £18,000.
Sheffield Corporation had to chip in to help meet the cost and land was donated by the Duke of Norfolk.
The Duchess of Norfolk officially opened the building and the first patients were admitted in 1916 to the King Edward VII Memorial Hospital for Crippled Children.
They were mainly youngsters suffering from various forms of tuberculosis.
Medical superintendent Dr Lee Patterson made advances in the children’s care by using ultra-violet therapy and vitamin treatments.
In 1931 the hospital began to treat the debilitating effects of a wider range of diseases, including rickets and polio.
The building was specially designed with French windows and covered verandas so that the youngsters could be taken outside for open air treatment, which was popular at the time.
In 1939 the hospital allowed adult patients, especially TB sufferers, and in 1944 the children were evacuated elsewhere when two wards were allocated to military casualties.
During the terrible 1947 polio epidemic patients were transferred in from other hospitals.
A year after the epidemic the place was renamed as King Edward VII Orthopaedic Hospital.
By the mid-1950s King Edward’s was an orthopaedic training school boasting a new physiotherapy unit with a remedial pool and gymnasium and specialist splint makers’ workshops.
Hospital services were transferred to the Northern General Hospital and King Edward’s closed in 1992.
The beautiful buildings were then converted into upmarket apartments.
Winter Street Hospital and sanatorium for infectious diseases dates back to 1881.
Before the First World War the main cases treated were scarlet fever and diphtheria.
Later on, tuberculosis patients were also treated there.
As well as large and small wards, there were airing courts on the roof.
The hospital was handed to the military authorities to be used for the wounded in March 1915.
Civilian patients were transferred out to Crimicar Lane Hospital.
The hospital was again used by the military during the Second World War.
Eventually in 1954 the number of beds was reduced to 103 and beds that had been placed in the middle of wards were removed to reduce overcrowding.
Young patients were transferred over to Ash House Hospital School in Dore in 1957.
There were plans to close the hospital by March 1970 and transfer the patients to Lodge Moor but then the hospital was adapted to become a geriatric day hospital.
Eventually the buildings were again upgraded, when Winter Street was renamed as St George’s Hospital, still caring for geriatric patients.
St George’s finally closed in 1987.
The buildings were renovated in the late 1990s and used as the University of Sheffield’s School of Nursing and Midwifery, with the name changed to Bartolomé House.
When the school transferred to the Northern General Hospital, the buildings transferred to the university’s School of Law, which remains their current use.