RETRO: Cock, Rock and the old Albert - four closed pubs of Sheffield

editorial image
0
Have your say

From The Rock to The Fighting Cock, there have been many interesting and popular pubs in Sheffield across the years.

The Rock, based in Pitsmoor, is pictured here in 1995 with the help of little Jessica McFarlane and The Fighting Cock, pictured here when it opened in 1962, are two of the more popular in Sheffield’s history.

The Rock House was run by two publicans in the 2000s who decided to use their position in the community to broaden the horizons of Pitsmoor folk.

They raised money for foreign holidays through pub competitions, encouraged people to get a passport and then took punters with them.

Donny and Carol McFarlane told The Star in 2003: “We noticed there were some people who had never even left Pitsmoor in their entire lives.” They later sold up and opened a farm in France.

Another top hotspot, long since closed, was Marples Hotel. Used as a shelter during WW2, the pub suffered a direct hit and more than 70 people died.

Totally destroyed, it was rebuilt in 1959 and traded in Fitzalan Square right up until 2002, when it suddenly closed for good.

Standing where Yates is now in Barkers Pool, The Albert is thought to originate from as long ago as 1797, but stood for many years before being pulled down - as is pictured here - in 1978.