Retro: A birthplace of football

Members of the Kiveton Park Rural District Council attending the first meeting of the council in the new Council Chamber which is part of the �66,000 office extensions to their headquarters at South Anston - 1st February 1971
Members of the Kiveton Park Rural District Council attending the first meeting of the council in the new Council Chamber which is part of the �66,000 office extensions to their headquarters at South Anston - 1st February 1971
0
Have your say

We’ve reached the letter K in our tour of South Yorkshire’s towns, villages and suburbs this week and that means taking a trip to Kiveton Park.

More usually known as Kiveton, with the ‘Park’ bit dropped by locals, it falls within the boundaries of Rotherham and from the Norman conquest right up to 1868 it was a hamlet within the parish of Harthill-with-Woodall.

Kiveton Park Rural District Council offices - 1973

Kiveton Park Rural District Council offices - 1973

Perched on the B6059, the area is served by two railway stations - Kiveton Bridge and Kiveton Park.

The Chesterfield Canal lies to the south, while the villages of Todwick and South Anston are to the north and east.

One of the strangest quirks about Kiveton Park is that it lays claim to being in Rotherham Borough Council, has a Sheffield postcode, a Worksop telephone code and has the Chesterfield Canal running through it.

It gets its name from the Anglo-Saxon for ‘the settlement in the hollow’.

Kiveton Park Steel Works - interior showing the stock of wire - 2nd April 1981

Kiveton Park Steel Works - interior showing the stock of wire - 2nd April 1981

In the Domesday Book it is written ‘Cieutone’ and was under the ownership of William de Warenne. It subsequently transferred to the de Keuton family, who sold the estate on to former Lord Mayor of London Sir William Hewet in 1580. One of his descendants was Thomas Osborne who became the first Duke of Leeds. He arranged the building of a stately home in the village, Kiveton Hall (also spelled Keveton, Keeton or Keton Hall), in 1698. The building was demolished by George William Frederick Osborne, 6th Duke of Leeds in 1812, with local legend stating that the demolition was the result of a bet with the then Prince of Wales, subsequently George IV of the United Kingdom.

Coal mining was the principal industry, dating back to the Middle Ages, and in 1866 Kiveton Park Colliery was sunk, making it one of the earliest deep mines in the world. The pit closed in 1994.

Most of the colliery buildings have been demolished, but the protected pit-head baths and the 1870s office building, with its Gothic clock tower, remain.

The village is the birthplace of acclaimed Arsenal football manager Herbert Chapman, and his brother Harry, a Sheffield Wednesday player. Derrick Ashton (Aston Villa), Bert Morley (Notts County), Sidney Cartwright (Arsenal), Leslie Hoften (Manchester United), Eric Oakton (Chelsea) and Walter Wigmore (Birmingham City) also hail from the village along with World Superbike champ James Toseland.

Wales Court, Kiveton - 1983

Wales Court, Kiveton - 1983

Wales Road, Kiveton Park - 8th March 1985

Wales Road, Kiveton Park - 8th March 1985

The Regal Cinema, Kiveton Park - 25th April 1960

The Regal Cinema, Kiveton Park - 25th April 1960

Houses along Hard Lane, Kiveton Park - 15th November 1979

Houses along Hard Lane, Kiveton Park - 15th November 1979