THIS is an artist’s impression of the magnificent £60,000 cinema that never was.
The Doncaster Chronicle of August 19, 1937 announced that work was to begin on the building of the new Odeon Cinema in Hall Gate, Doncaster.
The cost of the scheme was estimated at £60,000. The cinema, with a frontage of 120 feet, was to be set well back to allow for any future widening of Hall Gate.
The central entrance was designed to lead into a large lower foyer, approaching the fan-shaped auditorium.
From all parts of the cinema there were exit-ways leading to the 13 feet wide passages, approaching a car park facing Wood Street.
In addition to the main entrance in Hall Gate, the front was planned with four large modern shops and above them were two floors of offices.
Internally, the main architectural effects were obtained by artificial lighting coves surrounding the proscenium, and externally the design was treated in biscuit-coloured faience topped by horizontal lines of neon tubes. The main entrance was to have a central tower and a large area of window space to ensure well-lit offices.
The design was the work of T Cecil Howitt, of Nottingham, who had designed a number of cinemas for Odeon.
The man behind all Odeon activities was Oscar Deutsch, managing director of Odeon, Theatres Limited.
The rise of Oscar Deutsch and his Odeons was a romance of the cinematograph industry.
During the early 1930s, the Odeon Circuit was represented in Britain by 12 cinemas, mainly in the Midlands and South of England.
By 1937 there were approximately 300 controlled by the company.
The cinema never progressed beyond the erection of a steelwork frame and was subsequently abandoned.