Takeaway driver who messaged and met 15-year-old girl in Rotherham pleads guilty to child sex offences

Aftab Hussain, also known as Amaan Hussain, of Holywell Place, admitted two counts of inciting sexual activity with a child, attempted witness intimidation and possession of cannabis.
Aftab Hussain, also known as Amaan Hussain, of Holywell Place, admitted two counts of inciting sexual activity with a child, attempted witness intimidation and possession of cannabis.
0
Have your say

A takeaway delivery driver from Rotherham who sent sexual messages to a 15-year-old girl online before meeting her has pleaded guilty to inciting sexual activity with a child.

Aftab Hussain, also known as Amaan Hussain, of Holywell Place, admitted two counts of inciting sexual activity with a child, attempted witness intimidation and possession of cannabis at Sheffield Crown Court.

Hussain contacted the girl, who was 15 at the time, via social media.

His messages became increasingly sexual despite the fact he knew her age.

Hussain then met the girl and took her out in his car while making deliveries. He went on to send her inappropriate messages online before threatening her with violence if she told anyone about it.

Hussain was arrested on 16 September 2015 and police also found cannabis in his house.

Detective Inspector John Fitzgibbons, the lead officer in the case, said: “Hussain is much older than the victim and sent increasingly sexualised messages to her; he asked her for sex despite the fact that he was a grown man and she was a child.

“Then, when it became known what he had done, he threatened the girl and said he would hurt her and her family if she told anyone.

“In spite of his threats, the girl has shown immense bravery, as has her family and the other witnesses involved. Being involved in such an investigation has been an extremely traumatic experience but they have shown great courage and have been fully supported by all agencies involved.

“This sends a very clear message that South Yorkshire Police will not hesitate to prosecute anyone making contact with underage people in this way; we take such reports extremely seriously and we will do all we can to stop offenders and protect children and young people.”

Ian Thomas, Strategic Director of Children and Young People’s Services at Rotherham Council added: “Once again this is another successful prosecution for the victims and survivors of sexual abuse.

“Just one week ago, more than 100 years of jail sentences were handed to six perpetrators following Operation Clover joint investigation.

“On top of this we are seeing results for other CSE prosecutions, which has already resulted in a dangerous offender, Tom Wilkes, being sentenced to 10 years’ imprisonment in November last year.

“It is important that people understand that sadly CSE is not just a thing of the past, but happening now, all over the country.

“These results show that here in Rotherham we are now working in partnership with the police, CPS and our voluntary sector colleagues to put people who commit this terrible crime behind bars. “We have a long way to go but hopefully this outcome will help instil confidence in other victims and survivors, so they too can come forward and seek justice.”

Hussain will be sentenced on April 11 at Sheffield Crown Court.