Clothes horse causes fire in South Yorkshire

The aftermath of the house fire in Maltby
The aftermath of the house fire in Maltby
0
Have your say

A clothes horse is believed to have caused a house fire in South Yorkshire.

A family fled when a blaze broke out in the bedroom of their home in Maltby, Rotherham, yesterday (Thursday, June 1) afternoon.

Firefighters believe it started when a clothes horse collapsed on top of electrical equipment and the clothes were set alight.

South Yorkshire Fire & Rescue said it was called to the property on Lansbury Avenue at midday, and the family were already outside by the time firefighters arrived.

Crews from Maltby, Aston and Rotherham fire stations quickly extinguished the flames and left the scene at 2.30pm.

The fire service issued the following safety tips in the wake of the incident.

1, Make sure you have smoke alarms on every floor of your home

2, Smoke alarms save lives, but only if they are working. Please test smoke alarms regularly.

3, Take extra care in the kitchen and never leave cooking unattended

4, Never, ever use a chip pan or any other pan filled with hot oil

5, Don’t overload electric sockets– most can only take a maximum of 13 amps

6, Keep matches and lighters away from children

7, Keep clothes well away from heaters and open fires

8, Put out cigarettes properly and dispose of them carefully

9, Don’t charge things like mobile phones, tablets or e-cigs overnight, or longer than the recommended charging time

10, Plan an escape route and make sure everyone in the house knows how to get out in the event of a fire