Worker set centre ablaze by accident

Not in use: The community centre is now locked up and surrounded by damaged furniture.'                                                                                                                                       Picture: Steve Taylor.

Not in use: The community centre is now locked up and surrounded by damaged furniture.' Picture: Steve Taylor.

0
Have your say

A RECENTLY refurbished community centre in a Doncaster village will be closed for several weeks after it was badly damaged by fire.

The roof fire at The Radburn Centre in Rossington was started accidentally by workmen who battled in vain to put it out before firefighters arrived to deal with the incident.

When Doncaster fire crews arrived at the scene in Radburn Road earlier this week they found the roof well alight and had to remove a large number of tiles to douse the flames with water from hose reels.

The fire is believed to have been started when felting was being heated by a workman using a heat gun.

Fortunately no-one was using the centre at the time and the St Leger Homes workmen were working on the outside of the building.

An area of the roof about 10 metres square was affected and water damaged part of the interior.

The centre was refurbished under the Neighbourhood Alliance project last year when St Leger Homes carried out internal and external painting and installed new blinds at the request of residents.

The fire was started as the roof was being repaired.

The workmen tried to put the fire out with the fire extinguishers they routinely carry on their vans but it had taken too great a hold.

Mick Werritt, director of property services at St Leger Homes of Doncaster, said: “One of our surveyors has visited the centre to assess the cost of the damage.

“The fire was contained to one corner of the main room.

“A section of roof has been affected and there is water damage from the fire being put out.

“The roof has been boarded up to make the hall secure.

“Besides the roof repairs we will need to carry out some remedial work to the decor.

“We have contacted all the tenants and residents who use the centre to let them know the centre will not be in use over the coming weeks.

“However, we are hoping to be able to offer tenants and residents the use of the Ragusa Centre, which is nearby,” he said.

“All efforts will be made to get the centre back into use as soon as possible.”

Back to the top of the page