Woman burnt tackling chip pan blaze in South Yorkshire home

York Gardens, Cantley
York Gardens, Cantley
0
Have your say

A woman suffered burns to her face and hands tackling a chip pan blaze in Doncaster.

The woman, aged in her 70s, attempted to extinguish the flames herself by placing the burning pan into a bowl of water.

She suffered smoke inhalation during the incident along with a man, also in his 70s, who was in the house at the time.

They were both taken to hospital by ambulance.

Firefighters were alerted to the blaze in York Gardens, Cantley, Doncaster, at 7pm yesterday.

Steve Helps, head of prevention and protection at South Yorkshire Fire and Rescue, said: “You should never, ever attempt to tackle a chip pan fire yourself, especially with water which expands rapidly on contact with the hot oil causing an explosion.

"Our advice is the same as for any fire- get out, stay out and call 999. We also call on people to ditch chip pans and switch to safer alternatives, such as over chips on thermostat controlled fryers.”