White goods to blame for 200 house fires in South Yorkshire

South Yorkshire firefighters have dealt with 200 electrical fires over recent years
South Yorkshire firefighters have dealt with 200 electrical fires over recent years
0
Have your say

Firefighters have released a list of the 10 white goods responsible for most house fires in South Yorkshire.

The figures from South Yorkshire Fire and Rescue are being used to highlight a growth in the number of blazes caused by electrical equipment, with tumble dryers and washing machines topping the list of causes.

Cookers, dishwashers and fridge freezers complete the top five, with large electrical items responsible for more than 200 incidents since 2011.

Last year a major product recall was issued and owners of large air-vented dryers and condensing dryers under the Hotpoint, Indesit and Creda brands were told they may need to have them fixed.

Head of community safety Trevor Bernard, said: “Unfortunately, we can’t get round everyone’s home to check the safety of their electrics for them. But by raising awareness of the biggest safety issues. we hope we can give people the knowledge to check their own electrics and hopefully prevent a serious fire.

“For consumers, we know that returning a recalled product is not always convenient, especially if it’s an item that you use every day, but recall notices are issued to keep people safe. "The small inconvenience of returning a recalled item is worth it when you consider that faulty products can electrocute or cause a fire.”

Visit www.registermyappliance.org.uk to sign up to receive product recall notices.