‘We’ve seen horrors that nobody should have to see’ Sheffield couple arrive back from Tunisia

AP
AP
0
Have your say

A Sheffield couple who were caught up in the Tunisian gun massacre have expressed their relief at getting back home to Sheffield.

Julie Spafford, aged 62, and husband Tony of Hemsworth Road in Norton, arrived back in the UK on Saturday morning.

The couple were caught up in the terror attack and Julie previously described how she had ‘looked the terrorist in the face’ while the carnage took place.

A total of 38 people, including up to 30 Britons, died after Kalashnikov-wielding student Seifeddine Rezgui ,23, opened fire in the resort of Sousse on Friday.

Posting on Facebook, Julie said: “We’ve seen horrors that nobody should see but are home safe thank God.

“I cannot get gunman’s face out of my head.

“People we knew for a short while have not come home.

“I feel so much for the lovely Tunisian people in the hotel.

“We’re struggling to come to terms with it all as the pictures of those who died and we recognise them.”

When The Star contacted Julie, she said the events were too raw to speak about in person.

Scotland Yard has said more than 600 officers are involved in what is its largest counter-terrorism operation since the 7/7 bombings killed 52 people.

Julie expressed her thanks to people who had sent good wishes from Sheffield and to the holiday company for the speedy evacuation procedure.

She said: “Must praise Thomson for getting us home so quickly and safely.

“Thanks to everyone who sent amazing messages of support, it really helped us both knowing that you were rooting for us.

“I just want to chill now and try and forget but it will take a while.”

Four people needing treatment were flown back to the UK on board an RAF C17 plane with ‘medevac’ teams experienced at bringing injured service personnel back from operations overseas.

Suspected associates of the gunman who carried out the Tunisian beach massacre have been arrested.

The country’s interior minister Najem Gharsalli said a “significant number” of individuals were detained.

More than 400 passengers have jetted back to Doncaster Airport on emergency flights from Tunisia over the weekend.

A spokesperson from Doncaster Sheffield Airport said: “Our thoughts and sympathies go to everyone involved in the tragic event in Tunisia.

“Our team has been working with our airline partners and Doncaster Sheffield Airport has received three repatriation flights from Tunisia bringing 442 passengers back to the UK.

“We will continue focus on meeting the needs of our airline partners and their customers.

“We advise any passengers due to travel to Tunisia to contact their airline for the latest information.”