Warning after dog’s death

Pebbles the dog, who has died as a result of eating the remains of a food from a barbeque at Rother Valley Country Park'Owner Leanne Richardson
Pebbles the dog, who has died as a result of eating the remains of a food from a barbeque at Rother Valley Country Park'Owner Leanne Richardson
0
Have your say

FAMILIES are being warned not to leave litter after remains from a barbecue killed a much-loved pet at Rother Valley Country Park.

Pebbles, an 11-year-old Dalmatian, fell ill after eating food she found left on a disposable barbecue.

Surgery revealed she had a pierced gut from a kebab stick, causing peritonitis.

She was too ill to save, and her devastated owners had to make the decision to have Pebbles put to sleep.

Rangers are employed all year collecting litter from the park on the Sheffield-Rotherham border. Patrols are increased during the summer.

But during the busy bank holiday weekends it became a constant battle to keep the park clear of litter.

Pebbles’ owner Leanne Richardson from Aston said she hoped the public would take note to prevent any more suffering.

“Pebbles was a very fit and healthy dog who loved her runs and walks in Rother Valley all her life,” she said.

“It is such a shame the place she loved the most has cost her her life. Pebbles was quite a character and loved by so many and we are devastated to have lost her.”

Joanne Edley, the park’s events and promotions manager, said: “Litter is always unsightly, but food waste can be really dangerous for both wildlife and domestic animals, as this case tragically shows.”