Warning after charger causes blaze in maisonette

0
Have your say

Residents have been urged not to leave mobile phones charging up overnight after an adapter sparked a blaze in Sheffield.

The fire started in a bedroom at a maisonette on Edmund Close in Bradway. Three fire engines went to the scene from Lowedges and Central fire stations.

Lowedges crew manager David Shepherd said the fire was caused by a phone charger which overheated at 6.25pm on Friday.

A mum and her young son living at the property were safely outside when firefighters arrived. The bedroom was badly damaged by flames and smoke.

“Make sure you do not leave chargers unattended, especially overnight,” said Mr Shepherd.

A faulty charger was blamed for a fire which killed five members of the same family at a house in Sharrow in April.