Warning after barbecue causes bin fire

editorial image
5
Have your say

South Yorkshire Fire Service have issued a warning after a disposable barbecue started a wheelie bin blaze.

Crews from Sheffield’s Central fire station were called out to an incident on Thursday at around 10pm on St Philips Road, Sheffield.

On arrival, they found that a disposable barbecue had been placed in a bin while it was still smouldering.

Using a hose reel, firefighters extinguished the fire before it was able to spread.

South Yorkshire fire service reminded Sheffielders to stay safe while enjoying the sunshine in the summer months.

A spokesman said that barbecues should be put on a flat surface away from trees, shrubs and grassland and a bucket of water should always be kept nearby.

They added: “Petrol or paraffin on a barbecue, only recognised lighters and starter fuels and make sure the coals have properly cooled before disposal and empty ashes onto bare soil, not into the bin.”

Back to the top of the page