SMILE and the world of hospitality smiles with you - as these eight beaming finalists will tell you.
They’ve been shortlisted to win the Sheffield Smile Award, sponsored by The Star.
It honours the hospitality worker who brightens everyone’s day with their warm, friendly personality, as they help to make Sheffield a destination of choice.
The category is part of the Hospitality Sheffield Awards, this year at the Holiday Inn Royal Victoria, on Thursday, September 29.
Hosted by the BBC’s Tom Ingall, the awards reward the best in the city’s vibrant hospitality industry, which includes hotels, events and conference venues.
They focus on the hard work and talent of people working in the industry.
Expert judges have already been busy picking this year’s winners. All that is except the person who will walk off with The Star’s Sheffield Smile Award – because we want YOU to decide.
Today we are calling on our readers and web users to put a smile on the face of the eight finalists. The one with the most votes win.
All eight have been nominated by their managers, who have explained why in a bid to help you cast your votes. Read them all in full on line.
Then vote by email. Only one vote per person and email account allowed.
E-mail us, at email@example.com with SMILE in the subject box – followed by the full name of the person you want to vote for.
In your email include your full name, address, phone and any other contact details. But hurry. The deadline for all your votes is Tuesday, September 20, 10am.
For data protection details about how we may use your information for marketing, or how you can opt-out, see bottom of the page.
So who gets your vote for The Star’s Sheffield Smile Award?
Here are the finalists. You may know them and want to thank them with your vote - or judge them all after reading comments from their bosses below:
* KATIE BRICKELL, 25, Food and beverage supervisor, Hilton Sheffield.
“Katie went to university to take a degree in Psychology; she started part-time work at the Hilton Sheffield to help herself financially through university. It quickly became apparent Katie excelled in the hospitality industry and, quickly changed her career goals. In 2009 Katie moved into the restaurant and this is where she shone. Her bubbly personality and very infectious smile helps win over the grumpiest customer, team member and even the management team. When it comes to sport Katie says she likes to watch rugby men run around the field.”
* KELLY BROWN, 31, Room attendant, Park Inn Sheffield. “Kelly has a natural, infectious smile and a great enthusiasm for her job. Kelly has been the recipient of the housekeeping employee of the month recognising her willingness to help guests and staff alike, again this is born out of her genuine passion and enjoyment for doing her job well.
It is this “is there anything else I can do” approach which makes her so well liked by guests and staff and makes Kelly an ideal candidate for the Sheffield Smile.
* ELIZABETH CASS, 32, Bar and lounge waitress, Doubletree by Hilton (formerly Sheffield Park Hotel). “If the hotel had a landlady, then Liz would be the one! She is cheerful, chatty, compassionate, a confidante and likes a bit of gossip! She has only to meet someone once and can immediately remember their preferred beverage and where they like to sit. Liz also has a sensitive and caring side to her personality and studied for a qualification in British sign language to assist guests with hearing difficulties at work. Recently Liz achieved a lifetime ambition of performing a parachute jump to celebrate her 30th birthday.
* SCOTT KRISTEN, 37, Receptionist, Kenwood Hall. “Every day, morning, evening or night Scott has a fantastic smile on his face. Scott won Kenwood’s Quality Winner Award in May for providing excellent service and assisting in getting a guest medicine when she was unwell. Scott’s positive attitude is recognised throughout the building by guests and colleagues receiving positive feedback on a monthly basis. Colleagues notice his friendly personality as he is always open to offer a helping hand if others need it. One guest said, ‘Nothing was too much for Scott, very helpful - thanks’.”
* SAM LEWIS, 19, Food and beverage assistant, Tankersley Manor Hotel:
“Sam is a keen amateur dramatics star and has recently given three show stopping performances this year with Take 2 Academy Theatre. Despite his young age, Sam has a high level of maturity and takes his job very seriously - no task is ever too large and shift is ever too long. A locally grown gem, Sam works here with other members of his close family. He is very friendly and goes out of his way to be hospitable to everyone. Sam has a warm bubbly character that puts all guests at ease.
* VERITY MARRIOTT, 28, Events coordinator/receptionist, Rutland Hotel:
“Verity always has a smile on her face, she is constantly happy and nothing is too much trouble for her!
Verity works with weddings and deals with many wedding couples - she is not only professional throughout every meeting, but she is always so happy they are getting married and is always delighted to hear many stories of engagements and plans. Verity has a positive outlook on life all the time - she is never any different and her happiness motivates team members around her - which is great for the business.”
* CLAIRE MURPHY, 36, Food and beverage supervisor, Best Western Plus Mosborough Hall Hotel. “Each day Claire fulfils her job with a fantastic smile and great nature. Claire spends a lot of her free time with family and looking after her nephew Ethan for her sister while she is at work.
Claire loves daytrips and shopping in her spare time. One of Claire’s many customer comments reads - “A stunning smile and great attribute to the hotel and Darcy’s restaurant.”
* PAIGE RUSSELL, 18, Food and beverage trainee, Holiday Inn Royal Victoria Sheffield. “Paige is a true inspiration for all young starters in the hospitality industry. With her overwhelming friendliness she wows guests every time and regular guests love to be greeted by her.
“Reflecting her kind and understanding personality, she deals with guests complaints efficiently and promptly, with the most amazing outcomes of complete customer happiness. Paige is extremely hard working. She is coming in early and finishing late, but she really makes hard work look effortless through her positive approach to her job. Paige is extremely well liked amongst colleagues and customers.”
Data Protection: By Supplying your contact details, including email address and mobile number, you agree that Johnston Press plc, publishers of The Star and Sheffield Telegraph, plus it’s business partners may contact you about new promotions, products and service by mail, email, phone, fax, SMS/MMS. Add the word EXIT at the end of your communication if you do not wish to recieve these. For quality and training purposes we may monitor communications. SMS service is provided by Velti DR Ltd SE1 8ND - 020 7633 5000. By submitting any contribution, you expressly grant Johnston Press Group plc a royalty-free licence to use such content in accordance with our terms and conditions at http://ww1.investorrelations.co.uk/jpplc/termsofaccess/ If you do not consent to this, you should not submit your contribution.