Violent ex jailed for 13 years after stabbing

editorial image
Have your say

A Doncaster man who ‘went crazy’ and punched and stabbed his pregnant ex-girlfriend has been given a 13-year extended jail term.

Billy Smith, who was on bail at the time of the attack after kicking a policeman in the face during a fight, is a risk to the public, warned recorder David Dixon, sentencing him for the attack.

Smith travelled from Doncaster to Sunderland to attack Dominque Wroe in her own home. As she was doing housework he surprised her by walking through the back door and began to punch her in the face and body.

When she fell to the floor he kicked her as she tried to protect herself, and she then felt what she thought were punches to her back.

Smith, aged 29, of Lands End Caravan Site, Thorne, ran off – and when Miss Wroe stood up she realised she had been stabbed in the back and lower right leg.

She needed hospital treatment.

The judge told him: “You punched and kicked a pregnant lady then stabbed her three times.

“You carried out a sustained attack on a pregnant lady in her own home.

“Even when she posed no threat to you, you used a knife on her repeatedly.”

“I take the view that you are a risk to members of the public particularly ex-partners.”

The judge sentenced him to a total of nine years in prison. He was also given a four-year extended licence period on top of that. A restraining order was also issued barring him from contacting Miss Wroe except through a solicitor.

When arrested Smith initially denied being anywhere near the woman’s house in Byron Street, Sunderland.

He and his brother Michael Smith, 30, had been bailed after they were arrested following a disturbance at the Lands End Caravan on April 29 last year.

Billy Smith was stopped by the police after he was seen driving a suspected stolen van in a field near the caravan site.

While checks were made Billy was put in handcuffs in the back of a police car. A crowd gathered and attempts were made to free him.

“The situation became ugly and the police called for reinforcements,” said Mr Sheldon.

Michael Smith tried to act as peacemaker before shouting: “If you are taking him you are taking me but not without a fight.”

A fight broke out during which Billy attempted to butt a policeman. As his brother threw bricks at officers outside Billy kicked PC Robert Heath in the face.

The court heard while in prison on January 14 this year Billy Smith was found to have a mobile phone on him during a search of his cell.

Both of the brothers have records for violence and Billy Smith has served two jail terms for wounding.

Billy admitted affray, assault causing actual bodily harm, wounding with intent to cause grievous bodily harm, criminal damage and illegally possessing a phone in prison.

Michael, formerly of Willow Crescent, Thorne, and now living at Yarborough Court, Barton on Humber, admitted the joint affray and assault charges.

Edward Moss, for Billy, a father-of-three, said the background to all his offending was the break-up of his relationship with Miss Wroe.

“He did not know where he was at that time in his life,” said Mr Moss. “His behaviour was appalling throughout.”

Michael Caine-Soothill, defending scrap metal worker Michael Smith, said he had been trying to stay on the ‘straight and narrow’ and was trying to be a peacemaker when the police arrived.

“Perhaps through misplaced loyalty he began to behave in a way which was wrong,” he said.

Michael Smith was jailed for 15 months which means he will be freed almost immediately to time served on remand.