VIDEO: Silence over attack of Sheffield man

0
Have your say

Detectives investigating a hammer attack on a man with Tourette’s say not one of several witnesses who saw the assault in Sheffield has come forward.

Victim Jonathan Mars, aged 27, said he was traumatised but ‘lucky to be alive’ following the assault, in which a man bludgeoned him around the head repeatedly just after he got off a bus in Lowedges.

Jonathan Mars was attacked with a hammer as he got off a bus.'Police believe the assault may be linked to his Tourette's Syndrome

Jonathan Mars was attacked with a hammer as he got off a bus.'Police believe the assault may be linked to his Tourette's Syndrome

His injuries included a fractured skull and a broken nose and cheekbone.

Police believe the attack is ‘potentially linked’ to Jonathan’s neurological condition, as he was making involuntary noises on the Number 53 bus before he got off.

In an appeal last week, Detective Constable Yvonne Fairbrother said CCTV footage had shown that several people witnessed the attack .

However, CID chiefs said none have yet come forward with vital information to help the investigation.

Det Con Fairbrother said: “In all honesty I am quite surprised that nobody has come forward.

“From CCTV we know that there are a number of witnesses to this attack and we urge them to come forward with any details.

“It is very important that we find this man.

“We don’t think it is part of a series of incidents, but somebody who is prepared to do that needs to be found.

“As far as we are concerned, this attack is unprovoked, with a potential link to Jonathan’s Tourette’s.”

The assault took place on Lowedges Road on Tuesday June 4 at 10.20pm, although the details were released by police only last week.

A silver car pulled up behind the bus Jonathan had just got off before a black man got out and began to strike him over the head with a weapon.

n Witnesses or anyone with information should call South Yorkshire Police on 101.