VIDEO: Mexborough man arrested after explosives found in home

0
Have your say

Residents evacuated from their homes in Mexborough have been allowed to return home overnight.

Residents of about 50 homes on Chestnut Grove in Mexborough were forced to evacuate yesterday morning, following the discovery of potentially hazardous material at a nearby property. A 55-year-old man has been arrested in connection with the explosives.

Residents of Chestnut Grove, Mexborough, where evacuated after hazardous materials where found. Picture: Andrew Roe

Residents of Chestnut Grove, Mexborough, where evacuated after hazardous materials where found. Picture: Andrew Roe

The army bomb disposal unit and firefighters also attended the scene yesterday and residents were finally able to return to their homes at about 6pm.

A police spokeswoman said the man had been arrested on suspicion of possessing explosives for an unlawful purpose.

Doncaster Council set up a rest centre at Mexborough Day Centre for residents until they are able to return to their homes.

Other residents were taking shelter at The Highwoods pub.

Among those evacuated was Christine Geeves, a resident of Chestnut Grove.

She said: “I live across the road from the man they’ve arrested.

“It is really scary, I noticed a lot of police activity last night and then had a knock on the door this morning telling me that I had to leave the house.

“We’re not very happy that we’ll have to be out of the house all day.”

Resident Tracy Brown, said: “It’s scary, it’s the type of thing you see on TV, you don’t expect something like this to happen on your street.”

81-year-old June Clarkson of Chestnut Grove said: “The police didn’t really us much just that we had to evacuate.

“At first I though which one of mine has been in trouble when I saw the police.

“I’m more bothered about getting my washing in.”

Gloria Kerr of Chestnut Grove said: “I didn’t want to leave my house, I’m not very happy about it.

“I couldn’t believe it when I heard what was happening, it just goes to show you don’t know who your neighbours are.”

Joan Ford who lives in a house backing on to the property that was raided by police said: “I’m shocked I used to see the man but he never really spoke to anyone, he’s lived here a few years though, a long time.”

Sean Kirk landlord of The Highwoods pub was offering residents shelter in the pub.

He said: “Residents were a bit upset when they were turfed out of their homes because no one was prepared for it.

“You’re hearing that someone has died, then that they’ve found a bomb and that someone has been arrested so I’m not sure how true any of it is.

“It’s not your normal Saturday afternoon.

“The car park is full of ambulances, fire engines, there’s been a lot of activity.”

Sandra Davey: “I’m shocked, he lives opposite me, I didn’t know him very well, just to say hello too. He always kept himself to himself.”

Superintendent Liz Watson said: “I’d like to personally thank residents for their continued patience whilst we conduct our investigation.

“The community spirit has been second to none as up to 50 homes have been evacuated. I’d also like to thank Doncaster Council and Highwoods Pub for all that they have done in supporting those residents during this period.”