VIDEO: Heroic duo rescue man from Doncaster house inferno

0
Have your say

Two have-a-go heroes risked their lives to rescue a man from his burning Doncaster home.

Glyn Williams fell asleep after putting the chip pan on after a night out and within moments his kitchen was engulfed in flames.

Linzi Kay praised rescuers for saving her dad from a house fire.

Linzi Kay praised rescuers for saving her dad from a house fire.

The 57-year-old fell unconscious as choking black smoke filled his home.

But brave neighbours Matthew Wilkinson and Aiden Silman spotted the blaze and kicked down the door to the Balby home before battling through the flames to drag Glyn out to safety.

Grateful father-of-three Glyn said: “They are heroes. I could have been dead now – so I owe my life to them.”

Moments after the daring rescue, Matthew posted on Facebook: “Actually just saved a man’s life in a house fire. Never been so scared in all of my life ever, screaming as loud as I possibly could!

Balby man Glyn Williams with the chip pan which sparked the blaze.

Balby man Glyn Williams with the chip pan which sparked the blaze.

“Breaking down the door to get in to get him out as fast as possible!”

Matthew and Aiden are believed to be aged in their 20s and live in accommodation above Mr Williams’ flat. Neither were available for comment yesterday.

The drama unfolded at Glyn’s ground floor property on Peakstone Close at about 11.30pm on Friday.

He was taken to Doncaster Royal Infirmary and treated for smoke inhalation before being discharged on Saturday morning.

The chip pan which went up in flames.

The chip pan which went up in flames.

The former building site worker said: “I was out cold so I didn’t know what had happened.

“I woke up when I got outside and then the emergency services told me neighbours had rescued me. They put something up on Facebook so I sent them a thank you message.

“I was shaking for ages after the incident. I just feel lucky to be alive.”

Glyn’s daughter Linzi Kay, 25, who runs a printing business, added: “I am so thankful and I’ll never forget it. They saved my dad’s life.”

Balby man Glyn Williams with the chip pan which caught fire.

Balby man Glyn Williams with the chip pan which caught fire.

Firefighters from Doncaster and Edlington stations spent about 30 minutes tackling the blaze, which caused severe smoke damage to the kitchen.

A spokesman for South Yorkshire Fire and Rescue said: “We urge residents to never leave cooking unattended. Chip pan fires can develop extremely quickly.”