VIDEO: First picture of Sheffield murder victim

Have your say

This is the first picture of the man who was murdered in Sheffield - this afternoon named as Simon Holdsworth from Hackenthorpe.

The 36-year-old family man, who worked for a paint spraying company in Intake, failed to return home from work on Monday night.

Alleged murder victim Simon Holdsworth, aged 36, from Hackenthorpe.

Alleged murder victim Simon Holdsworth, aged 36, from Hackenthorpe.

Police believe he was attacked by someone armed with a weapon as he made his way home.

Mr Holdsworth died from serious head injuries, a post mortem examination has revealed.

Police launched a murder enquiry after Mr Holdsworth’s body was discovered by a member of the public at 6.30am yesterday morning, behind Rainbow Forge School in Hackenthorpe.

His identity was revealed at a police press conference close to the spot where he was attacked, along with details of his final movements.

Victim Simon Holdsworth, aged 36, from Hackenthorpe.

Victim Simon Holdsworth, aged 36, from Hackenthorpe.

Officers said Mr Holdsworth had got on the 120 First bus after work at 11pm on Monday night from a stop close to the Noah’s Ark pub on Mansfield Road.

They said he normally got off ten minutes later at the Hogshead pub on Delves Lane, but he never returned home.

South Yorkshire Police have got more than 40 officers working on the investigation.

Det Supt Phil Etheridge said: “This was a horrendous attack on a much-loved and popular man.

“Clearly it is absolutely vital that we understand what happened to Mr Holdsworth after he left work on Monday night and attempted to make his way home.

“Were you on the 120 bus that night? did you see Mr Holdsworth on the bus? or did you see him get off?

“Where he would have got off the bus is a busy and well populated area, surrounded by houses where people would have been watching television or perhaps getting ready for bed.

“If you have any information, however apparently insignificant, I would urge you to contact South Yorkshire Police quoting incident number 149 of December 17.”