Vets warn owners to be on guard after cat poisonings

0
Have your say

WORRIED vets have issued an urgent warning after a string of mystery pet poisonings which have already claimed the lives of three South Yorkshire cats.

Vets Now Doncaster is issuing an alert to cat owners to take precautions following the spate of poisonings.

Vets from the emergency out-of-hours clinic in Bawtry Road, Bessacarr, are urging owners in the area to keep their cats indoors.

Molly is one of five cats believed to have swallowed anti-freeze in the Monks Close area of Dunscroft - and only two have survived.

Joanne Sparrow, Molly’s owner, would have been faced with veterinary bills amounting to £1,000 for treatment if she had not taken out adequate pet insurance.

Molly is still undergoing tests to establish the extent of damage to her kidneys. If it is irreparable she will have to be put down.

Joanne said: “Nobody has been complaining about the cats so I don’t know if it’s deliberate or accidental.

“I know cats love anti-freeze because it tastes nice to them, and Molly is a greedy cat.”

Since the end of April the Vets Now Doncaster clinic has seen five cats from Monks Close, all showing signs of acute renal failure.

Laura McDermott, senior vet at Vets Now Doncaster, said: “The most likely source of the poisonings is ethylene glycol.

“We would urge residents in the area to check their garages and gardens in case a leaking container has been left out in the open.”