Vehicle goes up in flames while driver pops to bank

Rescuer: Adrian Rosser.

Rescuer: Adrian Rosser.

0
Have your say

A GRATEFUL owner was reunited with his two dogs after they were rescued from a burning car in Doncaster town centre.

Doncaster firefighters got the dogs out of the Jeep off-roader when its engine caught fire, but afterwards issued a warning about the potential danger of leaving pets unattended in motor vehicles.

The blaze started just after the owner had parked up in a loading bay at the end of Frenchgate, near The White Swan pub, for a trip to the bank.

A passer-by dialled 999 and firefighters from Doncaster station were quickly on the scene.

They started to extinguish the fire but spotted a small white terrier dog inside the Cherokee.

Crew manager Adrian Rosser said: “The rear windows were blacked out so we could only see the little dog through the front windows.

“The fire produced thick black smoke so we smashed a window to get the dog out, and when one of the firefighters put his head into the car to unlock the door he could feel something breathing in his ear.

“He turned round to see there was also a large black German Shepherd in the back!

“The owner was back shortly afterwards and very grateful that the dogs were safe and unharmed.”

The fire is believed to have been caused by a fault in the car’s engine.

The fire service says the incident shows it is inadvisable to leave animals unattended in cars, even for a short time.

n DONCASTER fire crews were also called to another vehicle fire in Sprotbrough a few hours later.

A minibus parked in Northfield Road was reported on fire around 10.30pm on Thursday and was quickly extinguished.

A spokesman for South Yorkshire Fire and Rescue said the cause was believed to have been an accidental fire in the engine compartment. There were no passengers in the vehicle.

Back to the top of the page