Van blaze spreads inside Sheffield furniture store

Firefighters at the scene of a major fire at a Furniture store on a Retail Park off Chesterfield Road,Woodseats
Firefighters at the scene of a major fire at a Furniture store on a Retail Park off Chesterfield Road,Woodseats
0
Have your say

A huge blaze which ripped through a Sheffield furniture store was caused by an accidental van fire in a loading bay, fire chiefs said today.

The ferocious fire on Tuesday night destroyed the Furniture for Less store on Chesterfield Road, Woodseats, which is owned by city firm Ponsford Ltd.

Fire crews spent seven hours battling to bring it under control.

A statement from the firm said both ‘the store and stock are beyond repair’.

It added: “We will continue to try and fulfil orders from an office at our sister company Ponsford.

“We will continue to provide the best service that we can for our customers in these difficult circumstances.”

Incident commander Mick Mason, from South Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service, said the blaze started when a van parked in the loading bay developed an engine fault causing a fire which spread.

He said: “It was a big and very dynamic fire which took a long time to bring under control. When I arrived it was well alight and the flames had gone through the roof.

“We had four pumps at the scene which was made up to eight. At its height around 40 firefighters were tackling the flames.

“It developed really quickly and there was a large volume of smoke coming from the building.”

Fire crews managed to stop the blaze spreading and brought the flames under control by 1am yesterday.

Today Dave Kiddy, head of service delivery support at the fire service, said there was no sprinkler system installed at the store and urged businesses to consider installing them.