Use of portable barbecues slammed after massive fire at reservoir

Firefighters
Firefighters
0
Have your say

A National Trust spokesman has called for people not to use disposable barbecues after a major fire at Ladybower Reservoir.

More than 12 fire engines and a helicopter were called to the Derbyshire reservoir on Monday after a fire broke out in moorlands.

It is thought that a disposable barbecue was the cause of the fire, in which a firefighter was taken to hospital after an accident while trying to help put the flames out

A spokesman from Lady Bower Reservoir warned of the dangers of disposable barbecues.

“This has become a large scale operation involving a number of fire services and the Peak Park and The National Trust.

“Even sadder to say is that this fire was completely preventable. It was started by a disposable barbecue.

“We cannot emphasise enough the dangers of using barbecues in this weather in such dry locations. The fire started out small and within a couple of hours was covering thousands of square metres of land.”

Today, Ted Talbot, Ted Talbot, National Trust Countryside Manager for the Peak District, said:

“We would always advise people to be fire safe when visiting the Peak District, particularly with extended dry periods raising the fire alert status.

“Portable barbecues are a particular risk and should not be used. We would like to thank the Fire Service, the National Park Authority Ranger Service and local gamekeepers for their swift response in dealing with what could have been a much more serious and damaging fire, had the flames spread further.”

Ted added: “Much of the moorland the National Trust looks after in the Peak District is nationally and internationally designated for its nature conservation importance.