Police officers injured in the line of duty were attempting to arrest a man hurling missiles at staff and customers in a Sheffield shop, it has been claimed.
South Yorkshire Police said last night that a number of bobbies were injured following a ‘domestic incident’ in Plowright Close, Gleadless Valley.
The force said that during the course of an arrest a number of officers were hurt, but confirmed that none of their injuries were life threatening.
But it has since emerged that the man they were attempting to arrest had fled to the Newfield Green branch of the Co-op.
One woman in the shop during the terrifying ordeal said the man started ‘smashing bottles and cans and throwing cans at the shop manager’.
She said he then started hurling objects at a customer.
The woman said those in the shop managed to move to the rear of the premises in a bid to protect themselves.
Posting on social media, she said a group of five or six officers then ran into the shop and attempted to restrain the man, before one of the officers ended up injured.
She said: “A copper was screaming on the floor with blood all over him.
“At this point I sort of feared for my life.”
She said another team of five officers then entered the store an used an incapacitant spray to restrain the man.
The incident sparked a major police response, in which a cordon was erected around the Co-op, but this morning the police tape had been removed.
A cordon still remains in place around the Plowright Close flat.
A South Yorkshire Police spokesman said: “A man has been arrested following a domestic incident in Gleadless, Sheffield.
“Police were called to Plowright Close at around 7.50pm and made attempts to arrest a man, who is in his 30s.
“During the course of the arrest, a number of police officers were injured.
“They are receiving treatment for their injuries, which are not life-threatening. The injured officers’ families have been informed.
“The man remains in police custody.
“There was a significant police presence in the area as officers dealt with the incident and we’d like to thanks residents for their patience.”