Two electricians taken to hospital after student housing fire

Breaking news
Breaking news
0
Have your say

Two electricians have been taken to hospital, with one in a critical condition, after a fire at student accommodation in Sheffield on Wednesday.

Firefighters, paramedics and police were called to the incident at The Forge near Bramall Lane.

A statement from South Yorkshire police said: “The incident was called in at lunchtime, around 1.20pm at the Forge Boston Street. Two men, 31 and 30 were injured while working in the building and taken to hospital.

“The 31-year-old is in a critical condition with life threatening injuries. The 30-year-old sustained serious injuries.”

The accommodation houses 1,400 students on the site but it believed that only 100 students have been affected in three blocks of flats.

Bart Wren, aged 20, who lives in block H at The Forge and is a Sheffield Hallam University student, said: “The first I knew about it was 1.30pm today when the power went off and firefighters arrived.

“They evacuated block G where the incident occurred but the other two blocks weren’t evacuated until 6pm.

“From what I heard it was an electrical fire which was put out before the firefighters arrived but we heard one electrician has been taken to hospital.”

Unite Students, who manage the property are putting the students affected by the power outage up in a hotel and have also emailed the university to request extensions for students who are on deadline for assignments.

National Grid confirmed a power outage but not on Northern Grid power network - the problem was with a private sub station.

A spokesman for Unite Students that manages The Forge accommodation, said: “An incident occurred just after 1pm involving two of our contractors requiring the support of the emergency services.

“As a precaution, power to one our accommodation blocks has been isolated while the incident is investigated. Our priority is the safety and wellbeing of our students and employees.

“Students affected, who number around 100, have been offered alternative accommodation for the duration of the power outage.”