Two men arrested as part of a giant investigation into the Rotherham abuse scandal have been bailed until November.
One man in Sheffield and another in Rotherham were arrested on Thursday by officers from Operation Stovewood, the National Crime Agency-led investigation into child sexual exploitation offences in Rotherham between 1997 and 2013.
The Sheffield man was arrested on suspicion of sexual assault on a girl under 16, with the Rotherham suspect interviewed over an alleged indecent assault on a separate complainant who was aged under 16 at the time the offence is said to have occurred.
A spokesman said the men have been bailed ‘pending further enquiries’.
Operation Stovewood has now made three arrests, following on from another man being arrested on June 8 on suspicion of rape, drug offences and assault.
The NCA is investigating alleged crimes in the same time period covered by the Jay report, which estimated there had been at least 1,400 victims of child sexual exploitation in Rotherham over a 16-year period.
Officers currently have 30 designated suspects and are investigating allegations against hundreds more.
They are focusing on the cases of 83 victims initially and have eight distinct investigations taking place as part of the overall operation, which is being paid for by South Yorkshire Police.