A four-year-old killed in a road crash just before Christmas has been described as a ‘boy with a smile that would light up every room’.
The community in Mexborough has rallied behind the family of Dylan Blake Walker who was fatally injured in a collision on December 23.
Family friend Joanne Hobson paid tribute to the youngster and told how parents Kay and Peter, and his siblings, are still struggling to come to terms with the tragedy.
The 44-year-old college lecturer, of Oliver Street, Mexborough, said: “As you would expect they are heartbroken.
“It came at such an awful time just before Christmas as well. They have other children as well and they are all trying to deal with it.
“Dylan was such a lovely lad. Speak to anyone and they will tell you he had a smile which would light up a room.”
Ms Hobson added the family, of Dodsworth Street, Mexborough, wanted to make clear they have not been asking people for money to help pay for the funeral but she herself had arranged a collection on their behalf.
She said: “The family have not been asking people for money. They are hard working people.
“But I have put two collection boxes in The Montagu Arms and Bulls Head pubs for people to donate.
“It is a close community and we all try to help each other at times like this. It is the best thing to do to help people.”
Friends and family will gather for the funeral service at Mexborough Cemetery Chapel next Monday, January 13, at noon. Burial will follow the service.
Toys, cards and floral tributes have been left at the roadside on Melton Mill Lane, near Mexborough, where the crash between a car and lorry happened.
Among the tributes laid at the roadside were teddies, Christmas cards, a fire engine, toy cars and sweets.
One of the cards read: “To Dylan, Missing you, love Grandad.”
A floral tribute said: “For Dylan, taken too early. Thinking of all your family.”
Another tribute read: “You’ve gone too soon little man.”
South Yorkshire Police said last week the family is ‘struggling to come to terms with Dylan’s death’ and were too upset to be interviewed.
An inquest into the death of Dylan Blake Walker has been opened and adjourned.
Coroner Nicola Mundy released the boy’s body to the family after Monday’s hearing to allow them to proceed with making funeral arrangements.
She opened the inquest into the fatality after taking evidence of identification.
PC Trevor Welch said Dylan was in a Mazda MX-5 when the driver lost control of the sports car and collided with an oncoming Ford Cargo lorry, causing the Mazda to leave the carriageway on the off-side.
Dylan was certified dead at the scene on Melton Mill Lane, near Mexborough, and taken to Doncaster Royal Infirmary where his body was identified by his mother, Kay Walker.
Ms Mundy said the police had no objections to his body being released, and the inquest was adjourned until May.