Campaigners fighting travel cuts in South Yorkshire left a crunch meeting with no U-turn - but a ‘ray of hope’.
Campaigners fighting travel cuts in South Yorkshire left a crunch meeting today with no U-turn - but a ‘ray of hope’.
A group of elderly and disabled people who have protested at the removal of free train travel, and the scaling back of concessionary fares on buses and trams, attended South Yorkshire Passenger Transport Executive this afternoon.
They were told by David Young, deputy interim general director, that hundreds of people had made suggestions for a solution in their comments about the cuts.
George Arthur, secretary of Barnsley Retirees’ Action Group, said: “We found a lot to talk about but nothing very much new to talk about.
“The one ray of hope was he did say that a lot of the protests that have been sent in have made suggestions and they are being considered.
“We asked for a consultation meeting, because one aspect that has definitely angered people is the lack of consultation in the first place.”
The transport executive made the cuts to save £629,000 and said Government funding reductions were forcing the changes on to the community.
Earlier this week protestors were blocked from boarding trains and riding without paying at Barnsley station in their sixth ‘freedom ride’ demonstration.
But Mr Arthur said that the fight would continue with another freedom ride booked for next week and May 17 before the meeting with the committee.
He said: “We are not going to go away.”
See tomorrow’s Star for more on this story.