newborn baby Aaron Wright died after he was accidentally covered with a duvet as he slept in bed with his parents for the first time, an inquest heard.
Mum Kelly Anne Wright had no idea her husband Scott had brought their five-week-old son into bed after an early morning feed at the family home in Herringthorpe, Rotherham.
But two hours later she discovered Aaron face down in the bed under the duvet, bleeding from his nose and mouth.
Paramedics battled to save the tot but he died soon after arriving at hospital, an inquest in Rotherham was told.
A pathologist warned parents of the dangers of taking small babies to sleep in bed with them.
Dr Marta Cohen said Aaron was a normal well cared for baby who had died from Sudden Infant Death Syndrome.
She said: “The cause of death is linked to the circumstances of his last sleep and other factors of sudden infant death which were his age and the fact he was a male.
“It is more common in children sleeping with adults and it is also important that the room is not too warm.”
She said research at Sheffield Children’s Hospital indicated 80 per cent of SIDS cases involved children sleeping in the same bed as adults.
Dr Cohen said a post mortem examination revealed Aaron had suffered ‘oxygen deprivation’ in the time before his death on July 11 last year.
Mrs Wright said she was aware of the potential dangers of co-sleeping with babies but admitted she and her husband had previously shared a bed with their two older children.
She said there were no bedroom windows open as they slept but said the duvet was a lightweight summer item.
Mr Wright said: “I wasn’t aware of the dangers of co-sleeping. We had slept with our other children in the same bed in the past. Aaron had not been in bed with us before, though.”
Deputy Coroner Fred Curtis recorded a verdict of death from natural causes.