DCSIMG

Three hurt in trio of chip pan fires across South Yorkshire

Firefighters demonstrate the danger of throwing water on a chip pan fire.

Firefighters demonstrate the danger of throwing water on a chip pan fire.

Two people needed hospital treatment and another suffered minor burns after three chip pan fires in the space of 90 minutes across South Yorkshire.

A Sheffield woman suffered burns to her hands when a chip pan caught fire at about 6.30pm yesterday, after it was left unattended.

The young woman poured water on it, burning her hands and setting fire to the wall and ceiling of the kitchen.

Luckily, a male visitor to a neighbouring flat, on Birchwood Grove, Westfield, put the fire out with a damp tea towel, but suffered smoke inhalation in the process.

Both were taken to hospital for further treatment.

A Wombwell man left his chip pan unattended to go to the toilet and returned to find it on fire, just before 6pm. He carried it out to the landing of the flats in Aldham House Lane, burning his hand and foot in the process. A neighbour put the chip pan out.

And a resident on Walbert Avenue, Thurnscoe, got away with minor damage to the cooker after their chip pan caught fire at about 5pm. The fire was put out with a damp tea towel, before leaving the house on unharmed.

Diane Malpass, South Yorkshire Fire & Rescue head of community safety, said: “Throwing away chip pans will help to prevent one of the main causes of serious house fires and injuries.”

See tomorrow’s Star for full story.

 

Comments

 
 

Back to the top of the page