The pets were alone in the house when the pan began to smoke after it was left on the hob - filling the property with fumes. Firefighters alerted to the incident said the owners of the house had gone out at 4pm and returned at 10pm, with the pan smoking all that time. A fire service spokesman said the couple were “distraught” at the loss of their pet dogs. The incident, on Muglet Lane, Maltby, Rotherham, was one of five kitchen fires South Yorkshire crews dealt with on Wednesday overnight into Thursday. In the first, firefighters were called to Primrose Hill, Shiregreen, Sheffield, after a visitor to the house spotted a pan burning on the hob and realised there was nobody in. Firefighters forced their way into the house to remove the pan before it had time to burst into flames. Smoke damage was confined to the kitchen. On the same night crews went to a house on St George’s Close, Netherthorpe, Sheffield, after a neighbour smelled smoke. When firefighters arrived they led a man in his 30s to safety from the property. He was conscious but suffering from the effects of smoke inhalation. The man was given oxygen at the scene to bring him round. He too had left a pan on the hob, which had started to burn. In Doncaster a couple on their 80s were checked over by paramedics after inhaling smoke when a fire also broke out in their kitchen on Beech Road, Skellow. A kettle started to burn after being placed on the hob - triggering a smoke alarm linked up to Doncaster Council, which alerted the fire service. The couple had inhaled smoke but did not need hospital treatment. And on the same night firefighters were called to KFC on Peel Street, Barnsley, after a deep fat fryer caught fire.

editorial image
0
Have your say

TWO pet dogs died in a smoke-logged house after a pan was left on the hob while their owners were out.

The pets were alone in the house when the pan began to smoke after it was left on the hob - filling the property with fumes.

Firefighters alerted to the incident said the owners of the house had gone out at 4pm and returned at 10pm, with the pan smoking all that time.

A fire service spokesman said the couple were “distraught” at the loss of their pet dogs.

The incident, on Muglet Lane, Maltby, Rotherham, was one of five kitchen fires South Yorkshire crews dealt with on Wednesday overnight into Thursday.

In the first, firefighters were called to Primrose Hill, Shiregreen, Sheffield, after a visitor to the house spotted a pan burning on the hob and realised there was nobody in.

Firefighters forced their way into the house to remove the pan before it had time to burst into flames. Smoke damage was confined to the kitchen.

On the same night crews went to a house on St George’s Close, Netherthorpe, Sheffield, after a neighbour smelled smoke. When firefighters arrived they led a man in his 30s to safety from the property.

He was conscious but suffering from the effects of smoke inhalation. The man was given oxygen at the scene to bring him round. He too had left a pan on the hob, which had started to burn.

In Doncaster a couple on their 80s were checked over by paramedics after inhaling smoke when a fire also broke out in their kitchen on Beech Road, Skellow. A kettle started to burn after being placed on the hob - triggering a smoke alarm linked up to Doncaster Council, which alerted the fire service. The couple had inhaled smoke but did not need hospital treatment.

And on the same night firefighters were called to KFC on Peel Street, Barnsley, after a deep fat fryer caught fire.