Teenager shot on Sheffield estate was ‘targeted attack’

Wordsworth Avenue in Sheffield where there have been several shootings in the recent past
Wordsworth Avenue in Sheffield where there have been several shootings in the recent past

Police today reassured families a shooting on a Sheffield estate was a ‘targeted attack’.

Residents voiced concerns after a teenager was injured in a shooting on Parson Cross.

But a police spokeswoman said: “Officers believe this to be a targeted incident.”

A 25-year-old man has appeared before Sheffield Magistrates’ Court charged in connection with the shooting on Friday evening.

Nathan Marples, from Parson Cross, appeared before the court charged with attempted murder and possession of a firearm with intent to endanger life.

He has been remanded in custody to appear before Sheffield Crown Court on Friday, August 26.

Emergency services were called at around 11.30pm following reports a 19-year-old man had been injured on Wordsworth Avenue.

He was taken to hospital with suspected gunshot injuries, which were not life-threatening, and has since been released from hospital.

Residents living in the area today spoke of their fears following the incident.

Joan Naylor, 66, of Ecclesfield said: “It’s very scary when you hear about it. I do think the area has got worse recently.

“You feel for the children really – there’s the big secondary school nearby where my grandson goes to.

“Something needs to be done, I do think they need to increase police patrols or something.”

One man, who lives on Wordsworth Avenue who did not wish to be named, said: “It’s really worrying,

“I’ve not been in the area that long and something like this isn’t good at all.

“It scares me a bit knowing something like this has happened, I know others I’ve spoken to over the weekend who say the same.”

One woman resident said: “It’s getting ridiculous around here, proper stupid. A lot more goes off than people know about. I’d like to say I’m shocked but it’s standard Cross though.”

An elderly woman added: “I’ve lived on here for 63 years and it’s the worst I’ve ever known it to be of late.

“You hear about the incidents, the area has got it problems but it’s terrible at the moment.

“It makes me sad I’ve lived and worked here the majority of my life and it does make me sad. I’d move if I had the money.”

n Witnesses to the incident are asked to call 101 or email enquiries@southyorks.pnn.police.uk quoting incident number 1509 of July 22, 2016.