Teenager reveals nut allergy ordeal to warn others

Undated Sheffield Children's Hospital handout photo of Robert Cockings talking with allergy nurse Moira Egan. 'PRESS ASSOCIATION Photo. Issue date: Thursday January 26, 2012. Teenager Robert Cockings has described how he was rushed to hospital on his 15th birthday when he suffered his first dramatic allergic nut reaction after eating a celebratory chocolate. Robert, 15, said he wanted to tell his story during National Food Allergy and Intolerance Week to raise awareness of life-threatening allergies. See PA story HEALTH Nuts. Photo credit should read: Sheffield Children's Hospital/PA Wire 'NOTE TO EDITORS: This handout photo may only be used in for editorial reporting purposes for the contemporaneous illustration of events, things or the people in the image or facts mentioned in the caption. Reuse of the picture may require further permission from the copyright holder.

Undated Sheffield Children's Hospital handout photo of Robert Cockings talking with allergy nurse Moira Egan. 'PRESS ASSOCIATION Photo. Issue date: Thursday January 26, 2012. Teenager Robert Cockings has described how he was rushed to hospital on his 15th birthday when he suffered his first dramatic allergic nut reaction after eating a celebratory chocolate. Robert, 15, said he wanted to tell his story during National Food Allergy and Intolerance Week to raise awareness of life-threatening allergies. See PA story HEALTH Nuts. Photo credit should read: Sheffield Children's Hospital/PA Wire 'NOTE TO EDITORS: This handout photo may only be used in for editorial reporting purposes for the contemporaneous illustration of events, things or the people in the image or facts mentioned in the caption. Reuse of the picture may require further permission from the copyright holder.

0
Have your say

A TEENAGER was rushed to hospital on his 15th birthday when he suffered his first allergic nut reaction.

Robert Cockings, aged 15, spoke of his ordeal to raise awareness of life-threatening allergies as part of National Food Allergy and Intolerance Week.

Robert, of Grenoside, said he wanted people to realise allergies can suddenly develop even in the mid-teens.

His face swelled up and he could not breathe after eating a celebratory chocolate and was rushed to A&E at Sheffield Children’s Hospital.

Robert said: “At first I thought I was short of breath due to my asthma, but as the swelling got worse and the blisters appeared I knew there was something wrong.”

Mum Julie said: “I never thought someone could develop an allergic reaction at this age.”

Robert is being treated at the hospital’s Allergy Clinic.

Back to the top of the page