A PUPPY with a taste for jewellery almost died after biting off more than she could chew.
Four-month-old Yorkshire Terrier cross Kandii had to be rushed into emergency surgery after snaffling a silver hoop earring from owner Margaret Heptinstall’s ear, and swallowing it whole.
Vet Louise Mallinson of Abbey Vets, Barnsley, said the playful pup could have died had swift action not been taken.
“The earring was too big to pass through and it also had a sharp spike which would have perforated Kandii’s gut, so we had to open her stomach to remove it,” she said.
“This was the first time I’ve had to operate to take out jewellery! It’s fairly major surgery but Kandii has made a full recovery.”
Kandii was sitting on Margaret’s knee for a cuddle when she jumped up and snatched the 3cm earring.
Retired nurse Margaret, 68, who lives in Ryhill between Barnsley and Wakefield, said: “I was giving Kandii a cuddle when she snatched the earring out of my ear. She was so quick I hardly felt a thing.
“I phoned the vets straight away and they told me to bring her in quickly.
“When we got there Kandii wasn’t showing any ill effects at all and was as playful as ever, but when the vet saw the X-ray she knew that Kandii was in serious danger if the earring wasn’t removed quickly.”
Grandma-of-six Margaret, who was widowed last summer, bought the earrings five years ago on a Greek holiday.
“When I was returned to the vet the earring it was all shiny and clean!” she said. “But I am not going to wear them around Kandii again for fear she will eat them.
“I am sticking to old-fashioned sleepers that have a better fastening.”
In fact mum-of-three Margaret will have to be careful with all small objects - another of Kandii’s tricks is picking up pebbles to throw at the door to let Margaret know she wants to come back in from the garden.