Sunbeam reflected off mirror and caused bedroom fire in Rotherham

Fire damage after a mirror was left on a windowsill on a sunny day
Fire damage after a mirror was left on a windowsill on a sunny day
0
Have your say

Fire chiefs in South Yorkshire are warning people against leaving mirrors on windowsills following a blaze in Rotherham.

Crews called out to deal with a bedroom fire on Common Lane, Ravenfield, believe the low winter sun reflected off the mirror and started the blaze.

The sunbeam reflected off the mirror and set fire to a nearby bedroom lamp, bedside table and carpet.

It also caused smoke damage to the room.

Nobody was in the property when the fire broke out.

Station Manager Simon Rodgers said: “This is certainly an unusual fire - but at the same time, it’s not the first incident we’ve attended that’s been caused by something like this. “Mirrors can have a magnifying effect on sunlight, strengthening it to the point that it can set fire to flammable materials, like curtains or clothes.

“It’s worth remembering not to leave them on windowsills or close to things like net curtains.”