Student raises the alarm after Sheffield flat blaze

0
Have your say

Three crews of firefighters were called to tackle a blaze at a Sheffield block of student flats early on Sunday morning.

A light fitting in one of the communal corridors at Devonshire Court, city centre, had set itself alight and dropped to the floor, causing a fire on the carpet.

A South Yorkshire Fire and Rescue spokesman said: “One of the students in the flat of four saw this, raised the alarm and alerted the others in the flat that there was a fire.

“She then raised the alarm by pressing the call button and that set the fire alarm off for the whole building.”

Firefighters from Central, Mansfield Road and Rivelin attended the scene for an hour and a half from about 12.30am on Sunday.

The flat was left with some smoke damage around the light fitting on the ceiling and damage to the carpet where it had fallen.

n A pizza oven in a home on Charnock Dale Road caused a fire early on Sunday morning.

Firefighters from Mansfield Road were called to the property, where a faulty cable had caused the pizza oven and the table it was sat on to set alight.

There was some damage to the table but there were no injuries and the crew put out the fire in about 15 minutes.

Back to the top of the page