South Yorkshire woman put at risk by illegal gas work

0
Have your say

A SOUTH Yorkshire man has been fined for carrying out illegal gas work at a house in Sheffield, leaving an elderly woman at risk from deadly carbon monoxide poisoning.

Sheffield Magistrates’ Court heard Tom Scholfield, of Warren Hill, Kimberworth Park, left a gas fire ‘immediately dangerous’ after installing it at the woman’s house in Dore on December 22, 2010.

A central heating system he installed two months earlier was also found to be defective, the court was told.

The poor work was spotted by a registered gas safety engineer who visited the property in February 2011.

At the same time, he checked Scholfield’s credentials and found he was not registered with Gas Safe and should not have undertaken any gas installation work.

The incident was reported by Gas Safe to the Health and Safety Executive, which found 28-year-old Scholfield, who traded as Scholfield Plumbing and Heating, had Gas Safe registration, but it had expired in March 2010.

Scholfield admitted two breaches of gas safety regulations. Magistrates fined him £3,300 and ordered him to pay £1,000 in costs.

Mark Welsh, HSE inspector, said: “Illegal gas work can lead to the deaths of innocent people.”