South Yorkshire fire chiefs issue warning over e-cigarettes

A damaged bedroom in Broomspring Lane, Broomhall, Sheffield.'An e-cigarette was to blame
A damaged bedroom in Broomspring Lane, Broomhall, Sheffield.'An e-cigarette was to blame
0
Have your say

Firefighters are warning of the potential dangers of e-cigarettes and their chargers following a blaze in a house in Sheffield.

Crew were called to a bedroom fire in a house on Broomspring Lane, Broomhall, which investigators have blamed on one of the cigarettes.

A damaghed e-cigarette following a blaze in Broomspring Lane, Broomhall, Sheffield

A damaghed e-cigarette following a blaze in Broomspring Lane, Broomhall, Sheffield

They claim it is the seventh such fire dealt with in South Yorkshire this year.

It is believed the latest fire, last month, broke out when the liquid content of the e-cigarette ejected and landed on a pile of clothes.

Flames ripped through the bedroom, causing severe damage.

South Yorkshire Fire and Rescue’s Head of Community Safety, Kevin Ronan, said: “Fires caused by e-cigarettes are an emerging trend which, two years ago, simply did not exist.

“Whilst e-cigs may offer a safer alternative to traditional cigarettes, they are so popular now we do need to make sure people know how charge them safely.

“The advice for e-cigs is really the same as for many smaller electrical appliances like mobile phones and laptops - don’t be tempted to buy cheap unbranded chargers, don’t leave them to charge whilst you are out of the house or asleep and keep them well away from flammable materials.”

E-cigarettes are commonly charged via a computer USB port.

Fire investigators believe blazes commonly start because e-cigarettes are left to charge too long, they are charge on or close to soft furnishings, or because the charger itself is faulty.

A Fire Service spokesman said: “Tips to prevent e-cigarette fires include charging the device on a flat, solid and stable surface, such as a kitchen worktop and keep the device away from flammable or combustible materials.”