South Yorkshire company admits health and safety failings after 18-year-old girl has stomach removed after drinking liquid nitrogen cocktail

editorial image
0
Have your say

A South Yorkshire company that owns a wine bar where an 18-year-old girl was injured after drinking a cocktail containing liquid nitrogen has admitted health and safety failings.

Gaby Scanlon, of Heysham, Lancashire, had to have her stomach removed after drinking a Nitro-Jagermeister shot.

The company, registered in Swinton, South Yorkshire admitted one count of failing in the duty of an employer to ensure the safety of persons not in its employment.

Oscar’s Wine Bar in Lancaster admitted at Preston Crown Court to failing to ensure the cocktail was safe to drink after the incident in October 2012.

The firm’s director Andrew Dunn, of Old Earswick, York, pleaded not guilty to his part in the company’s failings.

The court heard prosecutors would offer no evidence against him if he made a £20,000 payment towards court costs before the wine bar’s sentencing on 17 September.

A not guilty plea was accepted from bar employee Mr Harding, of George Street, Lancaster.

Miss Scanlon, now aged 20, was out celebrating her birthday with friends when she drank the cocktail.

Her stomach began to expand and a CT scan at Lancaster Royal Infirmary found a perforation.

She spent three weeks in hospital while doctors removed her stomach and connected her oesophagus directly to her small bowel.

Back to the top of the page