Smoke alarm saves sleeping man from house fire

editorial image
0
Have your say

A sleeping man was alerted to a fire in his house after his smoke alarm went off.

The incident happened at a property in Rawmarsh shortly after 10pm last night.

A spokesman for South Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service said smoking materials had set some curtains in the house on fire.

The man was asleep but was woken by the alarm and managed to put the small fire out before firefighters arrived.

The spokesman for the fire service said the incident showed the importance of people having working fire alarms.

“If he didn’t have an alarm, it could have been a different story,” he said.

Back to the top of the page