Smoke alarm alerted Sheffield family to early morning blaze

editorial image
0
Have your say

A family of four escaped a house blaze in Sheffield this morning thanks to a smoke alarm.

Two adults and two children were woken from their sleep at 4.30am to find their house filling with smoke.

A plastic tool box had been left on top of a halogen hob in the kitchen of the house in Foxwood Avenue, Intake.

The family told firefighters their cat is believed to have accidentally knocked the hob switch, turning it on.

Area Manager Steve Helps, said: “Smoke alarms are one of the best ways of preventing deaths and injuries in house fires. If a fire does start, smoke alarms can give you an early warning, giving you the vital extra seconds needed to escape.

“But smoke alarms only save lives if they are working properly. To ensure your smoke alarms are working when you need them, test them regularly by holding down the ‘test’ button until it beeps.”