Sleeping woman rescued from flat blaze

0
Have your say

firefighters had to break in and rescue a sleeping woman from a blazing Sheffield flat.

Neighbours have been praised for alerting emergency services then helping fire crews who brought the woman to safety from the smoke filled flat.

The woman, in her 30s, had fallen asleep leaving a pan on the cooker, which burst into flames in the early hours of yesterday.

The smoke alarm had been disconnected and the flat, at the Royal Exchange buildings, off Lady’s Bridge in the city centre.

Emergency services were alerted by neighbours at about 1.40am, who had smelled burning.

Neighbours held open the communal door when firefighters arrived and showed them to the flat.

Watch manager Steve Womack, of Central Fire Station, said: “Smoke alarms save lives and everyone should make sure they have a working one.

“Had the neighbours not returned when they did, the outcome could have been tragic.

“The flat was filling with smoke, which can quickly prove fatal.

“The neighbours did the right thing not only by dialling 999 but by opening the communal door for us and making sure we found the flat quickly.”