Sleeping Sheffield man’s blaze escape

NEWS: News.
NEWS: News.
0
Have your say

A SHEFFIELD man had a lucky escape when he was woken by a smoke alarm after he fell asleep with a chip pan on the hob.

The alarm gave the man vital seconds to escape the fire on Greenwood Road, High Green, just after midnight on Wednesday morning.

Firefighters from Elm Lane and Tankersley Stations were quickly on the scene.

Wearing breathing apparatus they quickly put out the fire using a hose reel jet.

They then helped to ventilate the property and gave oxygen to the man who was suffering from slight smoke inhalation.

The man, who was in his 30s, did not attend hospital but stayed with friends overnight to allow the kitchen to ventilate.

Firefighters urge residents to never use a chip pan and to not leave cooking unattended.

Working smoke alarms saves lives and should be tested weekly.