Shoppers flee supermarket

0
Have your say

A SUPERMARKET was evacuated after an electrical fault sparked a small blaze.

Shoppers in a branch of Tesco in Southey, Sheffield, were stopped in their tracks as the fire alarm sounded yesterday. The lights went out before around 100 people were forced to abandon their trollies after staff reported seeing smoke coming from an electric room.

Crews from South Yorkshire Fire and Rescue were called to the scene at around 2.20pm.

A spokeswoman for the fire brigade said the blaze was ‘small and involved electrics’ and there were no reports of any injuries.

Workers filed outside the Tesco Metro in Herries Road and waited as firefighters worked to make the store safe.

The fire cost the store thousands in lost stock and takings.