Sheffield worker saves ill child

Anne-Marie Hossel, supervisor at the Texaco petrol station, East Bank Road, with Samantha Humberstone and her son Lochlan Wood, 18 mnths who suffered a seizure whilst she was driving, and Anne-Marie came out and helped. Picture: Andrew Roe
Anne-Marie Hossel, supervisor at the Texaco petrol station, East Bank Road, with Samantha Humberstone and her son Lochlan Wood, 18 mnths who suffered a seizure whilst she was driving, and Anne-Marie came out and helped. Picture: Andrew Roe
0
Have your say

A hero petrol station worker saved a toddler after he suffered a seizure and fell unconscious.

Samantha Humberstone and her partner David Wood were driving home with their children Kerigan, eight, and 18-month-old Lochlan when the toddler fell ill.

Mum Samantha said: “Kerigan asked ‘What’s wrong with Lochlan?’ Then I realised he was struggling to breathe. His skin was blue and his eyes had rolled to the back of his head.

“To see him like that, I thought we’d lost him. It was horrible.”

The family, who were driving through the snow on East Bank Road in Arbourthorne on Boxing Day when the incident took place, immediately pulled over at a Texaco garage.

Samantha took Lochlan and ran inside to the petrol station forecourt, where store employee Anne Marie Hossell rushed to help.

“I didn’t know what to do. It all happened so quickly. I was so upset I couldn’t really listen. I was panicking so much – but she was so calm,” Samantha said. Anne Marie took off her jacket, put it down on the floor, took Lochlan from his mother’s arms and placed him on her jacket. She then put him in the recovery position, opening up his airways.

The modest employee said: “Instinct just took over. Inside I was panicking, but I knew if I panicked, Samantha would panic. I just tried to stay cool.”

They rang an ambulance and paramedics arrived after about 20 minutes, delayed by the heavy snowfall.

“He was taking really short breaths, so they put oxygen on him. I think they said his blood sugar levels were low. His skin was this blue and purple colour,” Samantha said.

The paramedics removed Lochlan’s clothing to lower his temperature before taking him and his mum in the ambulance to Sheffield Children’s Hospital, while dad David took Kerigan back home.

Samantha said: “It was snowing so bad that the ambulance was skidding everywhere. We were near the university roundabout and I heard the paramedics say something about plan B. I asked ‘what’s plan B?’.

“They said: ‘Plan B is carry him’.”

But paramedics managed to drive through the snow up to the hospital, where Lochlan was placed in a ward to monitor him overnight. He was discharged the next day.

Samantha later returned with Lochlan to the petrol station to personally thank Anne Marie.

She said: “I went to see her on New Year’s Eve and gave her a big squeeze.”

Anne Marie said she was delighted to see Lochlan looking ‘fit and healthy’ after his recovery.