Sheffield woman inhaled smoke from fire

0
Have your say

A YOUNG woman trapped by a blaze in her house in Sheffield was given safety advice over the phone while fire raged downstairs in the kitchen.

The woman, in her twenties, was unable to get out of the house on Romsdal Road in Crookes, Sheffield, because of smoke billowing from a microwave blaze.

She dialled 999 and fire control room staff asked her to go into a bedroom, close the door and keep calm until firefighters arrived.

Crews from Central and Rivelin stations put out the flames – and were then able to lead the young woman to safety.

She breathed in smoke and suffered the effects of smoke inhalation and was taken to hospital as a precaution.

The house was left smoke-logged by the blaze on Monday at 9.50am.

A next door neighbour said: “We’ve only just moved here. I think it’s a couple with grown-up children. I just hope they’re alright.”