The widow of a Sheffield electrician is appealing for help from his former colleagues after her husband died from asbestos-related cancer aged just 55.
Tom Tynan, who died from mesothelioma, had worked at the Cole Brothers store in Barker’s Pool between 1976 and the early 1990s.
Now his wife Stella and their three sons are appealing to her late husband’s former colleagues to help an investigation into his death.
Tom was employed by Keith Boultbee Ltd, now defunct. An employer’s liability insurance policy cannot be traced for the period Tom is believed to have been exposed to asbestos while undertaking electrical work at the department store.
And because he was diagnosed with mesothelioma before July 2012, his family would not be entitled to compensation under the Government’s new Mesothelioma Bill – which is currently going through Parliament.
His family have instructed lawyers at Irwin Mitchell to investigate the working conditions he was exposed to, and also to try to track down the insurance policy details.
Together they are appealing for anyone who may have worked with Tom who has any relevant information to come forward.
Stella, from Sharrow, said: “It’s very disappointing that the new insurance scheme will simply not provide for many thousands of victims and families.
“Employer’s Liability Insurance was compulsory from January 1972 onwards - it seems convenient that some policies just seem to have disappeared.
“My husband worked hard all his life. To find out his employers had put him at risk of terminal illness, by letting him go to work every day without appropriate protection, is just devastating.”
Anyone with information should contact Adrian Budgen on 0114 274 4420.